A Prep to Yr 12 education rich in culture, traditional languages, and family values. Pioneering programs achieve rapid improvements in literacy and numeracy, and a full curriculum is the road to a career and further education.
At Djarragun College our students come first. Their learning, their safety and their wellbeing are our core focus.
Djarragun College is a boarding school catering for day students and full-time boarders from remote communities across Cape York, the Torres Strait Islands, Yarrabah, Cairns and surrounds. The College is dedicated to improving educational outcomes for Indigenous students and providing a robust vocational education program that will lead to quality employment.
Learning programs are delivered using Direct Instruction in Prep to Year 9 and a senior curriculum operates in Years 10 to 12, preparing students for tertiary studies or work.
Djarragun College’s mission is to deliver a ‘best of both worlds’ school education to indigenous students by closing the academic achievement gap with mainstream students and supporting indigenous children’s bicultural identity.
Our mission is to have every child:
- Supported by family and community involvement and engagement in education
- Equipped with the literacy and numeracy building blocks in early childhood
- At or above the national minimum benchmarks for literacy and numeracy
- Regularly engaged in their culture, sporting and artistic pursuits
- Able to position themselves to transition to a post-school option of vocational education and training, or higher education.
An enriching learning environment
Our students have access to:
- Club and Culture programs offering students a well rounded education in areas of sport, fitness, life skills and recreation
- Sports Academy programs providing sports opportunities and incentives to Academy students to motivate them to achieve
- Student support services including health care, contributing to a caring and nurturing environment
- Well equipped facilities including modern computer rooms, trade training centres, a sports oval, library, art and crafts department and music room, providing students with a varied and enriching learning environment
- Beautiful school grounds in the semi-rural setting of Gordonvale, 20km south of Cairns
Djarragun College students experience being in an environment where people believe in them and are exposed to what is possible if they work hard.